Thursday, December 31, 2015

Intentions for 2016...

Today was not the New Year's Eve I'm used to -- or expected. It began with my Dad having a minor procedure, my Mom being exhausted due to her sick dog keeping her up all night, and Will being particularly demanding. My parents were exhausted most of the day (understandably so), and they -- along with Will -- were in bed by 7:20 pm. 

Rather than sulk and wonder why I'm not with my hubby (first NYE we've been apart since we met in 2001), I decided to attempt productivity: another walk, laundry, packing for tomorrow's flight, veggie tray consumption, and, of course, Shark Tank. Yes, I'm obsessed and have watched it for 2 hours every night since arriving here.

While I am ready to go home and get back to life with all 3 of my boys (Dex included), now would be a great time to set some intentions for 2016. I dislike the term resolution, as I associate the term with a promise you will not keep to yourself after the 2nd or 3rd week of January. I would rather set intentions to live more purposefully and with no regrets.

Here are my 16 personal life intentions for 2016:

1. Be kind, even when I don't want to be.

2. Listen fully to others.

3. Stop saying "yes" out of a sense of obligation. When you're busy trying to please everyone else, you often lose yourself in the process.

4. Stop feeling guilty for not being able to please everyone.

5. Be more open minded when meeting or working with people.

6. Continue to make daily ME time.

7. Be present for those who truly matter in my life. Show up. Be there, physically and emotionally.

8. Let go of the past and any guilt or regrets. Aim to see regrets as nothing more than lessons learned.

9. Be grateful daily.

10. Make music, movement, and writing part of my daily routine.

11. Reconnect with the church. I miss it.

12. Get to know my neighbors more. 

13. Continue to find joy in teaching and mentoring others.

14. Practice mindfulness in every aspect of my life.

15. Tell my loved ones just how much I love and appreciate them. Constantly.

16. Be OK with the fact that I may never feel utterly and completely happy or satisfied. -- I recently (finally) finished Carry On, Warrior: The Power of Embracing Your Messy, Beautiful Life. I love the author, Glennon Doyle Melton's, writing and especially the following:

"I think one of the keys to happiness is accepting that I am never going to be perfectly happy. Life is uncomfortable. So I might as well get busy loving the people around me. I'm going to stop trying so hard to decide whether they are the 'right people' for me and just take deep breaths and love my neighbors. I'm going to take care of my friends. I'm going to find peace in the 'burbs. I'm going to quit chasing happiness long enough to notice it smiling right at me."

Here's wishing you and yours a 2016 filled with laughter, love, health, and endless joy, Warrior Women. You deserve nothing less! 💞💞💞💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

No comments:

Post a Comment