Tuesday, September 29, 2015

#spreadjoy

Small acts of kindness can mean the world to someone else.

This is often one of my mantras and a value that was deeply instilled in me from a very young age. The Golden Rule became a part of who I was and who I continue to strive to be.

At work, I often feel like a counselor and therapist to my teachers. I'm grateful that they feel comfortable coming to me with concerns and seeking guidance. Many times, all they really want is the chance to be heard without judgment. I try to do this and put myself in their shoes in the process. I actively listen, offer my suggestions when appropriate, and then stress the importance of them recognizing what they have control over -- and then moving forward fully and positively. Some conversations are more productive than others, but I try to approach each with an open mind and warm heart.

I also believe in the power of the written word, especially good old-fashioned thank you notes. In this crazy digital age, there's often something uniquely refreshing and comforting about getting a handwritten note. I try to do this at work and home whenever possible. I spent time thanking over 25 teachers today for specific things they have done in their classrooms or for the school recently. Teachers are rarely thanked, so I aim to spread joy, happiness, and gratitude around whenever I can. It's amazing how even such a simple gesture can make a world of difference.

On your quest to live your best and happiest lives, I encourage you to aim to reach out and thank someone for something awesome they've done every single day. Who knows? Maybe your paying it forward will be contagious and be exactly what someone else needs.

#bekind #spreadjoy #rememberthegoldenrule

No comments:

Post a Comment