Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The apple and the tree...

The apple never falls far from the tree.

This saying has always fascinated me, as has the nature vs. nurture argument. This topic is particularly interesting as a long-time educator who is now a new parent.

As a teacher, I've always looked forward to parent conferences, the ultimate chance to see if students' parents were just as you imagined them to be ... and hopefully not worse! Much of how a child acts and behaves in school is directly dependent on the quality, structure, and love present in their home environments. Knowing how dysfunctional so many of my school's students' homes are, it's often a miracle they come to school in one piece, let alone function. 

I'm not blaming parents here, nor am I trying to comment on race or poverty. That's for another day and dissertation (Believe me, this equity warrior is passionate about closing the achievement gap!). My perspective has simply broadened since becoming a parent myself. It's a hell of a hard job. Even Adele mentioned that today in an interview (Her new single? WOW. Epic). 

I had my parent conference with Will's teacher last week and got a copy of the report back today. I am so happy he's thriving in school and learning how to more appropriately socialize with other toddlers. Thankfully, he's not a biter. Yet.

The teacher mentioned that Will "needs his personal space." This made me laugh, as Greg and I are both exactly like that. I operate much like an extrovert but need to unwind and recharge on my own, as an introvert does. Perhaps I'm an ambivert? Will has been like this since he was a newborn, and he is known as both Mr. Smiley and Mr. Independent at school. 

It's mind-blowing to see bits of yourself in your child. Will is definitely a great combo of us both, in looks and personality. He's Mr. Social and loves meeting people like me while also being wary when necessary and always inquisitive like Greg. 

I can't wait to see how far our little apple has fallen from the tree. Probably not TOO far, and that's perfectly OK with me.

#toddlerlife #thenextgeneration 

No comments:

Post a Comment