Monday, October 19, 2015

Learn to take a compliment!

I cannot stand public recognition. In fact, I will run, hide, and avoid being recognized in front of others in any way possible, often deflecting attention with extreme humor, sarcasm, self-defamation, or a combination thereof.

I've always been very hard on myself and embarrassed when others praise me. I'm working on this. 

"Kay, I love your dress. It suits your figure well."

"Naw, it's nothing compared to your gorgeous boots! And OMG, just LOOK at those earrings! Stunning. Where did you get them?"

See how brilliantly - and so inconspicuously (Ha!) - I deflected a compliment onto the other person? It's only recently that I've been able to respond with a genuine "Thank you." It's still hard for me.

I guess education and teaching were always good fits for my extremely critical, overachieving personality. Teachers are notorious for being overworked, underpaid, and valued about as much as a cockroach in some circles. I could work around the clock, still never get done everything I wanted to get accomplished for my students, and rarely get thanked in the process. Wohoo! A dream come true!

I've learned a lot in my decade in the profession. I've calmed down, prioritized my family and myself more, learned to say no, and have even have taught myself how to properly receive compliments. I'm more balanced. I'm more flexible and laidback I'm more relaxed and at peace with myself. And I'm pretty sure I'm the happiest and most fulfilled I've ever been. Greg and Will play a huge role in that, along with an enormous dose of "You are enough" and "Take a chill pill."

My compliment-accepting abilities were tested this afternoon. A valued colleague and friend decided to pass her Educator of the Week trophy on to me this week, complete with a beautiful impromptu speech as well. I was honestly shocked to be awarded this title, as I'm usually the one giving compliments and awards and happily snapping pics for the school's Twitter page on the sideline.

I miss being with students full-time a lot these days, but this particular colleague reminded me of the wider impact my work as a staff developer and teacher coach has on hundreds of students each day. She reminded me that what I do matters, and that was worth more than any award in the world. 

#grateful #bestprofessionintheworld

No comments:

Post a Comment